Made this twice already. Family approved so you know it’s good. Oven baked and sneaking in veggies? Whaaaa? Pretty healthy (and tasty) alternative to potato fries or chips. Great snack but also a filling lunch (if you had like 4/5 of the entire pan of zucchini fries… woops #sorrynotsorry).
It took a longer time than I expected. It always does though. I guess in my head, the steps it takes to make it is simple. Cut up zucchini. Dip zucchini into butter (in my case, eggs for the healthier alternative) then dip into spices/crumbs. But I guess the actual task of peeling the zucchini, cutting the zucchini, and then having the dip every single zuch-fry into egg then press into spices/crumbs takes a while. I think it literally took me like an hour to do all the steps, plus baking time.. then cleaning. Agh. Anyway, it was delicious though. Worth it.
Original Recipe: All Recipe’s Oven Baked Zucchini Fries
Followed the recipe pretty precisely. Read comments about using egg whites instead of butter to make it more healthy.
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded mozarella (lol i didn’t have parmesan cheese which the recipe called for. it sufficed but use whatever.)
- 1 (9 inch) zucchini, peeled (9 inch? does anyone actually measure their veggies? i didn’t. just chose a medium sized one and hoped for the best. #lazy)
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil lightly greased with cooking spray. (I don’t have parchment paper so I just sprayed cooking spray on the pan. didn’t feel like aluminum foil was necessary but it probably is if you don’t want it stick to the pan?)
- Cut the peeled zucchini in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Slice the zucchini into 1/2 x 1/2 x 4 inch pieces. (I sliced the zucchini into fry sized treats. Didn’t measure.)
- Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, and seasoned salt in a pie plate. Dip the zucchini fries into the melted margarine (egg whites), then press into bread crumbs. Gently toss between your hands so any bread crumbs that haven’t stuck can fall away. Place the breaded zucchini onto the prepared baking sheet. (The only thing I hated was that the last pieces dipped didn’t have as crispy spices/crumbs since the egg had dripped off the prior zuch-fries so if you are okay throwing away extra spices/crumbs, use more.. it sticks to the zuch-fries way better when there is more dryness in the crumbs. Unfortunately, my asian ways have kept me from doing that.)
- Bake the zucchini in the preheated oven until the fries are golden and tender, about 15 minutes.
Side Note: I’m watching the Amanda Show as I write this post. Some of the episodes are on Amazon Prime video!! Yes, I was one of those people who signed up for free 30 day prime before XMAS because I needed last minute gifts. Brought back good vibes, old Nickelodeon. Question tho: Was Debbie (I like eggs) and the Tennessee girl only hired to act during The Girls Room segment? I don’t remember seeing them in any other skits on the show…. right? Anyway, enjoy!
and BRING IN THE DANCING LOBSTAHS xoxo #IronChefChen