I’ll keep this post brief as I didn’t do that much in Koh Samui.
This was the last island before we headed back to the mainland and honestly, we could’ve skipped it. We primarily came to break up the travel between Koh Tao and Bangkok (as Koh Samui was the closest island that had an airport). It was fine for 2 days but I would’ve rather stayed at Koh Tao or Koh Phangan longer instead. Koh Samui was much more noticeably tourist-run, lots of people on the beach and just higher priced than the other islands. Drinks, food, taxi, hotel rooms – overpriced and not that much better. We ended up just hanging out at the beach most of the time, which is fine for a day but we would’ve wanted more (affordable) adventure the rest of the time. The only special things we really did was see an amateur Muay Thai fight one night and walk a street market, which you could do at other cities/islands.
Day 1 – Sat
- Arrival at hotel via taxi from the port (no grab app)
- Lunch at Harry’s Restaurant (medicore)
- Went back to hotel to relax as it was raining
- Dinner at Made In (better than lunch). Friendly service.
- Walked around Downtown Lamai
- Lamai Muay Thai Boxing only on Saturdays at 10PM
- Free admission but you have to buy an overpriced drink at a bar (could just get soda)
- Get there earlier to get better seats
- This website talks more about it: http://muaythai-world.com/lamai-boxing-ring-lamai-beach-koh-samui/
Day 2 – Sun
- Breakfast at hotel
- Beach Day!
- 1/2 price juices and smoothies at neighboring hotel’s beach bar. Get the watermelon smoothie – I’m obsessed.
- Lunch at The Cuisine
- Dinner at Lamai Sunday Street Market – good, cheap street food. Definitely try the skewers.
Day 3 – Mon
- Breakfast at hotel
- Hotel van to airport for flight to Bangkok
Stay: Lamai Coconut Beach Resort
Busy beach front resort at Lamai Beach. Great for its close vicinity to the beach as well as restaurants. Plus it had free breakfast (but food was mediocre). We stayed in a room with a balcony that had a slight ocean view- there is a wooden bench on the balcony but no loungers to fully relax on. The hotel provided free sun beds at the beach. All sights/restaurants were walkable from hotel.